Monday, July 8, 2013

milling mondays: homemade whole wheat tortillas


After I started milling my own flour, I began considering making my own tortillas. It seemed a little intimidating though so it has taken me a year to get around to it:) One of the reasons I wanted to make my own tortillas is to be in full control of what ingredients go in them. There are no mystery ingredients that I have to be aware of, no ingredients to give them a looooooooooong shelf life etc.  Instead they consist of 5 ingredients, one of them being freshly milled whole wheat flour allowing for extra nutrition. After making them, I realized how easy they are to make (even though I will continue to perfect them) and they are also cheaper to make than buying them.  And they taste great!
 
 
 
Whole Wheat Tortillas
 recipe adapted from bakingwholegrains.com
 
Ingredients
 
2.5 cups whole wheat flour (3/4 cup soft wheat berries and 3/4 cup hard wheat berries)
1/4 baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup  hot water
 
yields 8-12 tortillas
 
 
Directions
 
If you mill your own flour, grind your soft and hard wheat berries. I of course use my WonderMill.
 
 
 
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
 
Then add the olive oil to the dry mixture and mix together until crumbly.
 
Finally, add the water very slowly and mix until the dough comes together (the dough can be  a little more wet than bread dough). If you don't use all the water that is ok.

 
 
 
Cover the dough and let it rest for 15-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
 
Take it out of the fridge and divide the dough into 8-12 balls. Flatten the balls a little.
 
 
 
Roll each ball out into a " round" flat tortilla (or use a tortilla press if you have one).
 
 
Place the uncooked tortilla onto a lightly greased medium-low heated pan for 1-2 minutes on each side.
 
 
And they are ready to eat. Enjoy these yummy whole wheat tortillas with your favorite tortilla recipe.