Thursday, September 12, 2013

diy thursday: homemade almond milk

 
I have been wanting to make my own almond milk for a while now because every time I go to the store to buy it, I often end up putting it back on the shelf because of all of the added ingredients. What I like about unsweetened almond milk, is that you don't have any of the sugar that you get from milk. When we were on the Whole30 we couldn't have dairy, so in theory unsweetened almond milk would have been a good substitution for milk. Well think again! Store bought almond milk contains carrageenan (an inflammatory), which we couldn't have. I never got around to actually making my own almond milk during the Whole30  because I am not sure my blender can handle that. BUT last week, my friend let me use her Vitamix so I could finally give it a try. And boy was it easy!

Not only is it easy to make, but it also only has two ingredients (as opposed to the 13 I counted in the WholeFoods brand just to give an example).  The price to make it is also a lot cheaper coming in at $1 for 32oz. Can't beat that.
Homemade Almond Milk
Ingredients
1 cup almonds
4 cups filtered water
Directions
Cover the almonds with water and let them sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours. 

 
Dump out the remaining water left in the jar with almonds.
Add the almonds and four cups of filtered water to the blender and blend.

Once the almonds and water have turned into a creamy milk, pour the almond milk into a nut bag with a bowl underneath (ideally you have a nutbag, I didn't so I just used some cheesecloth. It seemed to work fine).

Gently squeeze the bag, letting the milk run into the bowl and the almond meal stays in the bag.


 
And voila! You have almond milk.