Thursday, December 13, 2012

diy thursday: all natural homemade play dough (play-doh) and christmas candle

My grandfather gave us a Christmas calendar candle, kalenderlys, at Thanksgiving. We were excited to have one again this year. Burning the Christmas candle a little every day from December 1 through the 24th brings back many memories from my childhood. I always loved burning it (and still do). My brother and I would take turns lighting it - I had even days and he would light the uneven days. It isn't fully Chrismas without a kalenderlys.
The candle we received this year didn't fit the candle holders I usually use. I decided to still use one of my candle holders, but needed something to make the candle sit study in the holder. I immediately thought I would just use some white play-doh I had ... only to realize it was completely dried out. Bummer. It was December 1 and I didn't have time to go to a craft store or the like to get something to fix the candle holder. Then I remembered, my mom used to make my brother and I play dough from scratch. Making my own play dough hasn't been on the top of my list to try since I don't have children. But, hey, the situation called for it, so I set out to figure out how to make it. And it is SUPER easy.
Play Dough (Play-Doh)
1 cup flour (wheat berries)
1/2 cup salt
1 Tbs canola oil
1 cup boiling water
Since I mill my own flour when baking, I just milled some wheat berries in my WonderMill to give me one cup of whole wheat flour.
Combine flour, salt, canola oil, and boiling water and mix.

When it begins to become difficult to stir, take the dough out on the counter and knead it together until it becomes the consistency of play dough.

And that is how easy it is to make play dough. If you are wanting to make it for children to play with then many recipes suggest you add cream of tartar for extra elasticity. It is also more fun for children if you add food coloring to make different color play dough. If we are blessed with children one day, I plan to make my own play dough since it is non-toxic and super cheap.
Posted by Picasa