Monday, June 10, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat carrot cake



As you may have noticed, I like carrots and try to incorporate these veggies into desserts. And this refreshing moist carroty cake gives evidence why I like the combination.
 
 
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake 
recipe modified from pincookie.com
 
 
Ingredients
 

 
 
1 cup whole wheat flour (2/3 soft wheat berries and 1/3 hard wheat berries)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
 
 

 
 
Directions

 
Preheat the oven to 350F.
 
If you mill your own flour, grind 2/3 soft wheat berries and 1/3 hard wheat berries. I use the pastry setting on my WonderMill. Sift the flour once to make the cake less dense.
 
 
 
 
In a bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
 
In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, oil and eggs. I use my KitchenAid with the paddle attachment on setting 2.
 
 
Mix in the dry ingredients
 
 
Fold in the carrots and coconut.
 


Pour the batter into a 9x13 parchment lined (or greased) cake pan.

 
Bake the cake for about 35 minutes.

 
Let the cake cool. Add your favorite frosting. I prefer a cream cheese frosting.
 
Enjoy!