Monday, July 29, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat orange cake (applesin kage)

 
 
This is an old school cake that my grandmother (farmor) used to make. As I have mentioned before, my farmor was an amazing baker and always had baked good at her house. Here is one of the traditional cakes she would make over the years. She passed it on to my mom, and now my mom has passed it down to me. This is a simple cake to make. It is not too sweet and has a hint of orange.
 
 
Whole Wheat Orange Cake (Applesin Kage)
 
 
Ingredients
76 g margarine or butter (1/3 c), softened
49 g canola oil
200g sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
150g whole wheat flour (100g soft wheat berries and 50g hard wheat berries)
1/2 dl juice of an orange (or about 1 2/3 oz)
Zest of half an orange
 
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 395F.


Blend together the margarine, oil and sugar in your mixer. I use my KitchenAid mixer on setting 2.

Then mix in the eggs.
 
If you mill your own flour, grind your soft and hard wheat berries. I use my WonderMill on the pastry setting. Sift the flour twice to make the cake less dense (you may want to grind a little more flour than needed to ensure you have 150g flour after you have sifted the flour)
 
Add the flour and the rest of the ingredients to the mixture and combine.
 
 
Pour the cake batter into a baking pan
 
 
Bake the cake for about 25 min until the top is golden brown.
 
 
Let the cake cool on a rack.
 
 
When you are ready to serve, you can add some frosting to the cake. The frosting I used was made of  powdered sugar and a little water (or if you want a more orangy taste you can add orange juice instead of water).

My farmor's orange cake on one her plates she used to serve this very cake.
Enjoy!