Thursday, January 23, 2014

diy thursday: homemade chocolate syrup



 My husband loves chocolate milkshakes. That is his dessert of choice on special occasions. Chocolate syrup is needed to make this lovely treat. In my continual quest to know exactly what is in my/our food and be able to pronounce all of the ingredients, I set out to make my own chocolate syrup and not rely on store bought anymore.  Making this sweet chocolate treat is super easy. As someone who can be a chocolate snob I don't always love store bought chocolate syrup, so my expectations for the homemade were about the same. BUT this chocolate syrup was absolutely yummy ... waaay better than the store bought kind. YUM.


Homemade Chocolate Syrup
recipe from 52kitchenadventures


Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 - 1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp vanilla extract


Directions

Stir together the cocoa and sugar in saucepan, getting rid of any big lumps.


Next stir in the water and salt. 

Over medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.  

Once boiling cook for a couple of minutes until the syrup has thickened.


Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes before adding the vanilla extract. 

ENJOY!