Thursday, October 8, 2015

diy thursday: homemade nutella



I love Nutella! I mean who doesn't love a hazelnut chocolate spread? I grew up with Nutella and loved spreading it on a piece of fresh bread from the bakery on special occasions. We don't usually keep Nutella on hand as it is a "dangerous" thing to have in the house:) But this summer I thought it would be nice to get some as a treat for Michael and me. I then made the mistake of reading the label and realized that palm oil and sugar were the main ingredients (not hazelnut and cocoa). Now this didn't shock me and I realize chocolate spread isn't good for you... but I thought I must be able to make a Nutella with at least a little better ingredients. And I found a recipe that is very easy to make and that tastes yummy!


Homemade Nutella (hazelnut chocolate spread)


Ingredients

2 cups hazelnuts
1 cup dark chocolate, melted
2 TBS cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1 TBS honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBS coconut oil
Sea salt


Directions

Preheat oven to 400F

Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 10 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure nuts don't burn.


Remove the roasted hazelnuts and place them in a dishtowel and rub and shake to remove the skin. You shouldn't have to work too hard at this. It should for the most part come off easily. If all of the skin doesn't come off that is ok.



Place the peeled, roasted hazelnuts in a blender and mix until it becomes smooth as butter.


Add in the coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder and pinch of salt.

Blend it all together until smooth.

Melt the dark chocolate and add to the blender along with the honey.

Blend until smooth.


And VOILA you have homemade hazelnut chocolate spread.

ENJOY!