Thursday, September 13, 2012

diy thursday: natural antibacterial spray


When making my own natural cleaners I have been a little skeptical of whether they actually kill major bacteria on areas such as the toilet seat. Even though I feel pretty good about the natural all purpose cleaner I made last week, I felt like I needed an antibacterial spray for extra bacteria prone places. Again, in the allyou magazine I found a recipe for an antibacterial spray. 

In order to make this cleaner I had to invest in just one additional ingredient - white thyme essential oil. It can be a little more expensive than some of the other essential oils, but it goes a long way. The great thing about white thyme oil is that it prevents bacterial growth - which I am all for.

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. liquid castile soap
1 Tbsp. white thyme essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil

Using a funnel I poured all the ingredients into my 24 oz spray bottle. Then I shook the bottle to make sure the ingredients were well blended. Super easy. When you clean with the spray you do have to let it sit on the surface for 20 minutes before you wipe down the surface with a damp cloth.