Monday, January 21, 2013

milling mondays: 100% whole wheat crackers

 
Since I started milling my own flour, I knew I wanted to at some point start making my own crackers. Since I mill my own flour to ensure all the nutrition stays in the flour thus making healthier breads etc., I thought I should extend that health to crackers as well. Making my own crackers just seemed like it would be difficult and a little crazy:) However, I am glad I tried making them because they are easy to make and they don't take much time. Definitely not a lot of extra effort in order to ensure you have healthy nutrition packed completely whole wheat crackers.
 
 
100% Whole Wheat Crackers
 
modified recipe from the green life pages
 
 
Ingredients
 
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or about 1 cup hard wheat berries)
 
1 1/2 tsp sugar
 
1/2 tsp salt, plus extra for sprinkling
 
1/4 tsp paprika
 
4 Tbs unsalted butter
 
1/4 cup + 2 Tbs water
 
1/4 tsp vanilla
 
recipe yields about 60 crackers
 
 
 
Directions
 
 
Preheat oven to 400F.
 
If you mill your own flour, grind about 1 cup of hard wheat berries in your grain mill. I use my WonderMill
 
 


Blend together the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, salt and paprika.
 
Cut in the butter into the dry ingredient mixture. Mix in the butter using a fork or a pastry blender. The flour mixture will be crumbly.
 
Add the water and vanilla to the crumbly mixture.
 
Knead the dough with your hands until it comes together to form a ball.
 




Split the dough in half.
 
Roll the dough out very thinly (about 1/16 inch) on a pastry mat.

Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into whatever cracker shape you desire.
 
 
 
Using a spatula move the cut dough crackers onto a baking sheet. Either use parchment paper or spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray. (Next time, since the crackers don't rise in the oven and stay the same size, I will probably try cutting the crackers out directly on the cookie sheet).
 
Sprinkle the crackers with salt if desired.
 
Repeat the steps for the other half of the dough.
 

 
  
Bake the crackers for about 6-8 minutes. They bake quickly, so be checking the oven to make sure your crackers aren't burning.


 
 
Enjoy! These crunchy crackers are easy and quick to make and full of nutrition.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I definitely want to try these. How well did they store? Did they stay crunchy the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I have had them for over a week now in an airtight container and they are still crunchy.

    ReplyDelete