Monday, January 14, 2013

milling mondays: gluten free bread

 
 
Prior to milling my own flour, I used to bake my own gluten free sandwich bread. Once I started milling my own flour, I was excited to try my great gluten free bread recipe using freshly milled rice. Gluten free bread can often have a dense texture and bitter taste, so I was thrilled when I stumbled upon this recipe in one of my cook books, Easy Gluten-Free Baking, that makes a great/normal texture and great tasting bread. I would eat this gluten free bread any time over store-bought gluten free bread and it is also much cheaper to make.
 
 
Gluten Free Sandwich Bread
 
modified from Easy Gluten-Free Baking's White Sandwich Bread by Elizabeth Barbone
 
Ingredients
 
Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of brown rice flour (or brown rice if you mill your own flour)
1 cup white rice flour (or white rice if you mill your own flour)
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup corn starch
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
 
Wet Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 1/4 tsp (one packet) active dry yeast
 
 
Directions
 
If you mill your own flour, grind the white and brown rice using your mill. I of course use my WonderMill. It is just as easy as milling any other flour.
 
 
Next, combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
 
In a separate mixing bowl combine the wet ingredients and mix until the yeast has been dissolved. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer.
 
Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. First blend the ingredients on low for about a minute to make sure all of the ingredients are well combined, and then increase the speed to medium high for 5 minutes.
 
This dough will act differently that most gluten breads - it will stay thick and sticky (but not dry or bulky). If it seems to be too dry then add a little more water.
 
Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and put the dough into the pan. Cover the loaf and let it rise for 1 hour.
 
Pre-heat the oven to 350F
 
When the loaf has risen and the oven is pre-heated, bake the loaf for 1 hour (the internal temperature should be 208-211F when done).
 
Once the bread is done, let it cool on a cooling rack.
 
Enjoy! As I mentioned this gluten free bread does not taste gluten free - it tastes just as yummy as regular bread.