Thursday, February 21, 2013

diy thursday: cleaning stove burner drip pans






So if you haven't figured it out by now, I don't enjoy cleaning. I do like having a clean house though. So I always seek to find new easy ways to clean things while still getting great results.
 
Cleaning the stove burner drip pans was one of those dreaded tasks. In a perfect world, every time the drip pan gets dirty, I would clean it. Well, it isn't a perfect world.
 
 
I found a great blog post on how to clean your stove burners. I figured this would probably work for drip pans as well ... and it did. In fact, this trick was super easy and I don't dread the task anymore.
 
 


What you will need 
ammonia
ziplock bags  
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Directions

First, remove the drip pans from the stove. I clean the pans monthly - I must have been a messy cook in January:)
 
 
 

Pour 1/4 cup ammonia into a ziplock bag.

Place a drip pan in the bag and seal (ammonia smell is quite strong).

Repeat these steps for all of the drip pans you want to clean.



I usually then place the filled ziplock bags on a baking pan in case some should leak or something. And in case there is a leak, I prefer to leave them outside so the smell doesn't seep in our house.

I leave the drip pans in the bags overnight.

The next morning, the ziplock bags show condensation from the ammonia fumes. 




The fumes have now dissolved all the drippings.


 
All you have to do is take out the drip pans from the bag and wipe clean. The drippings come right off. No scrubbing needed!