Thursday, February 7, 2013

diy thursday: homemade air freshener




I haven't been buying air fresheners for awhile since I have been trying to steer away from chemicals including chemically induced smells. I figured it probably wasn't good to have those vapors around and I often didn't really like the imitation smell they produce.  In addition the cost kind of added up so I figured that would be a place we could save.
 
I have come to miss air fresheners certain places such as our closests. I just don't really like the smell of closet. I thought there must be a way to make my own air freshener on a budget and more natural. And there is!
 



 
 
 
What you will need:
 
Baking Soda
Essential Oil
Jar with lid
Hammer
Nail
 








Directions


In order to make this project even more budget friendly, I reused some jars I already had. I have been saving our peanut butter glass jars because I thought I might need them for something some day. If you are interested in how I got the label off go here.  
 
Since I was making air fresheners for our closet I didn't really care how cute the jar lids were. You can of course decorate them to make them look as cute as you would like.
 
First, using a nail and a hammer, make holes in the lid.

 
Next, add baking soda to the jar. I put one cup of baking soda in my jar given its size. Baking soda is the main ingredient of this homemade natural airfreshner because it naturally absorbs odors.
 
Finally, add about 20 drops of your favorite smelling essential oil. I added lavender. Then carefully shake the jar a little.
 
 
 
That is it! Super easy and inexpensive.