Thursday, April 18, 2013

diy thursday: homemade ginger tea


 
When I got sick in 2011, I started researching natural anti-inflammatory remedies. One of the things I learned was that ginger combats inflammation. It is also great for nausea and digestive issues. So I thought this would be a good thing to incorporate into my diet especially on bad days.
Ginger tea is really easy to make at home. All you need is some ginger root which you can buy at your local grocery store.


First, peel the ginger root and then slice it into thin pieces.

if you notice a blue ring around the ginger in this picture, it is not because it is bad. I just happened to buy blue-ring/Chinese white ginger this time.
 Finally, add some ginger root slices to some boiling/hot water.
Let the ginger seep for 5-10 minutes and you are ready to drink.
Often I slice up more ginger than I need and then freeze the pieces. Then they are ready to use whenever I want to make some ginger tea.
I like this tea because of its health benefits, but it is also natural, budget friendly and easy to make.

Enjoy!