Monday, April 22, 2013

milling mondays: yummy veggie burger

 
  
This is truly a very yummy veggie burger. In the words of my husband: this is the best veggie burger I have ever had. This burger has the perfect combination of flavors that will make it taste just right, not bland at all. I have been meaning to try to make my own veggie burgers for a while now, but I have been intimidated. It just seemed like it would be difficult. But it really wasn't. I wanted to make my own veggie burgers since it is less expensive than store bought, and because I will be able to pronounce everything that is in the burger (it seems strange that so called healthy veggie burgers made up of beans and other vegetables also have mystery ingredients that no one really knows what are ... doesn't seem healthy to me).  This burger's main ingredients include two things we cook a lot at our house, sweet potato and quinoa. YUM!
 
 
Yummy Veggie Burgers
modified recipe from thenakedkitchen
 
Ingredients
 
3 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut up into about 1" pieces
1/3 cup oat flour (if you mill your own flour, use steel cut oats)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup corn
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp hot sauce
black pepper to taste
 
yields 8-10 burgers
 
 
Directions
 
After cutting up the sweet potatoes, put them in boiling water. Let them simmer until they are tender, about 20 minutes. Once they are done, strain the water. Let the sweet potato pieces cool a little before mashing them up.

 
Preheat the oven to 375F.
If you mill your own flour, grind steel cut oats to make oat flour. I use my WonderMill (do not grind rolled oats in this mill).
 
In a large mixing bowl, add half the beans and mash them. 
 
 Add the rest of the beans and the remaining ingredients.
 
 
 Mix it all it all together until it comes together. Don't over mix it.


Form the mixture into 8-10 balls. Place and flatten them on a parchment lined baking sheet (or greased sheet). Each burger should be about 1/2" thick.
 
 Bake the burgers for 30 minutes, turning half way through.
And they are ready to eat.
 
I served them on my homemade burger buns with some spinach. You can add whatever else sounds yummy such as hummus.  

 
 
These veggie burgers freeze well. Let them cool completely and then wrap them in foil before putting them in a freezer zip lock bag.
 
Enjoy!