Monday, April 29, 2013

milling mondays: vegan oatmeal peanut butter cookies



These cookies are a nice light and healthy treat combining great flavors of banana, oats, and peanut butter. When my in laws were coming for a visit I wanted to make cookies, but my mother-in-law doesn't eat granular sugar or dairy (which you will find in most cookies) and I had eliminated egg at the time, so this is the recipe I ended up using. These tasty cookies turned out to be vegan as well.


Vegan Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
 
recipe modified from doctoroz.com
 
 
Ingredients
 
2 ripe bananas, mashed
 
1/3 cup peanut butter
 
2 Tbsp vanilla almond milk
 
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
2 tbsp. agave nectar
 
1 Tbsp ground flax seed plus 3 Tbsp water
 
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
 
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (wheat berries)
 
Pinch of ground cinnamon
 
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
 
Mix together the ground flaxseed with the water. Let it sit to form an egg like consistency. To get the best nutritional value, grind the flaxseed right before you use it (do not use your WonderMill to grind the flaxseed).
 
 
 
If you mill your own flour, grind the wheat berries. I used my WonderMill.

 
Wisk together the mashed bananas, peanut butter, milk, vanilla, agave, adding the flax seed mixture last.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
 
 
Drop the dough onto a baking stone or greased cookie sheet. I love my baking stone because you don't have to grease it and it is really hard to burn the cookies. I have used my Pampered Chef pizza/baking stone for the past 12 years and love it (thanks Jen:)).
Bake the cookies for 13-16 minutes until slightly golden brown.
Let them cool on a rack.  And they are ready to eat.
 
 
Enjoy!