Saturday, March 16, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat chocolate cake


There are so many things I love about this cake. It is chocolate. It includes coffee. It is whole wheat. Yummy. I absolutely love chocolate (especially dark chocolate). When I was dairy free that was the hardest thing to give up. I also love coffee. I can't drink as much as I would prefer for health reasons, but I love any chance to have it even when it is in chocolate cake (don't worry, if you don't like coffee that wont affect the taste of this cake). And I try to eat whole wheat as much as I can especially when it is real whole wheat from freshly milled flour. This delicious moist yummy cake is always a wonderful treat.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake

Ingredients


2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (2/3 soft wheat berries and 1/3 hard wheat berries)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee


Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla
 

modified recipe from aarp magazine jan/feb 2010


Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.


If you mill your own flour, mill the soft and hard wheat berries. I use the pastry setting on my WonderMill.  Since this is a dessert dough, sift the flour once removing some of the bran in order to make it less dense.


Blend whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.



Next, add the chocolate and butter to boiling water over medium heat and let it melt together.

 
In a new bowl blend eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until creamy using a hand mixer.

When the chocolate mixture is all melted, add the chocolate mixture to the bowl.
Then add the flour mixture.
Finally add the hot coffee to the mixture and stir it all together.


Pour the cake batter into a 9x13 greased cake pan (or parchment paper lined).



 Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes.


While the cake is baking, mix together the frosting ingredients until smooth.



When the cake is cool, frost the cake.
 
Enjoy!