Monday, March 11, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat sweet potato rolls

 

 
I love sweet potatoes. I include them in our meals in many different ways. We grill them, bake them, mash them etc. They are yummy! So when I needed to make some rolls, I thought adding sweet potatoes would make them taste even more yummy. And it did!
 
 
100% Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Rolls
 
modified recipe from how sweet it is
 
Ingredients
 
1 large sweet potato, peeled
4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
4 Tbs honey
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk

4 Tbs butter
4 tsp salt
6 cups whole wheat flour (2/3 soft wheat berries and 1/3 hard wheat berries)
1 egg, lightly beaten.

yields about 30 rolls
 
Directions

First, cut the peeled sweet potato into pieces and add them to a pot of water.
 
Bring it to a boil and let boil until they are fork tender. It took me about 20 minutes.
 
 
Drain the potatoes when done and mash them.
 

Meanwhile, if you mill your own flour, grind about 1.5 cups hard wheat berries and 3 cups soft wheat berries (enough to yield 6 cups of flour). I use my WonderMill.
 
 
Combine water, yeast, 2 tablespoons honey and olive oil in a bowl. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer bowl. Mix with a spoon and let it sit until foamy for about 15 minutes.  
 
Once it is foamy, add the mashed sweet potatoes, the rest of the honey, yogurt, milk, butter, and salt.
 
 
Mix in the flour one cup at a time. I used the dough hook on low. Once all of the flour is incorporated, knead the dough for another 2-3 minutes on medium (I use setting 2 on my KitchenAid).
 
 
Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it. Let it rise in a warm place for about 2 hours.
 
When it is done rising, knead the dough until silky and divide the dough in half. Each batch will make between 12-15 rolls. If you don't want to make 30 rolls then you can freeze half the dough. This dough freezes well. To avoid freezer burn, I usually wrap the dough in plastic wrap and then in foil and then lastly seal it in a freezer ziplock bag.
 
 
Roll the dough into a long rope.
 
Cut off pieces of dough and form each of them into a ball and place them onto a greased baking dish.
 
Cover the baking dish and let the rolls rise for another 30-45 minutes.
 
Preheat the oven to 375F.
 
When the rolls are done rising, brush them with the beaten egg.
 
Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
  
 
 
 When the rolls are done, let them cool.
 
Enjoy! These rolls are yummy warm with butter by themselves or as part of a delicious meal.