Monday, May 27, 2013

milling mondays: spelt carrot waffles

 
 
I love breakfast. And I really like comfort foods such as waffles, french toast and pancakes. I don't eat that a lot for breakfast, but really enjoy it when I do. When I do splurge on this kind of breakfast I like to try different variations such as incorporating carrots into waffles. Since starting to mill my own flour I also like trying new kinds of flours other than just whole wheat flour. Being able to mill my own flour allows me to effortlessly mill different kinds of flours without the hassle of trying to track down a special kind of flour at the store and then in turn spending a bunch of money on those special flours. I keep several types of grains on hand and when a recipe calls for a certain kind of flour such as spelt, rice or oat, I can quickly grind those grains into flours and continue baking. This is a good reason to have your own mill. These waffles with carrots and spelt flour are yummy, not too sweet, just right.
 
 
Spelt Carrot Waffles
recipe modified from chocolatecoveredkatie
 
Ingredients
 
1 cup spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp agave
1/2 cup shredded carrot (about two medium sized carrots)
2/3 cup milk plus 1 Tbsp
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
this recipe yields about 4 waffles; just double or triple the recipe to fit your needs
 
 
Directions

If you mill your own flour, mill about 1/2 cup spelt berries which should give you enough spelt flour for the recipe. I use my WonderMill.

 
 
 
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl (the first 5 ingredients) and then the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
 
Then mix together the dry and wet ingredients.
 

 
 
Pour the waffle batter on the heated and greased waffle maker.
 
 
Enjoy!