Monday, May 6, 2013

milling mondays: farfar's frikadeller (danish meatballs)

 
Frikadeller is a very common food in Denmark. Usually people eat frikadeller for dinner with potatoes and brown gravy. It is a very traditional meal. Frikadeller is like a meatball. I have a recipe that I usually use, but wanted to feature my farfar's recipe in lieu of his recent passing. After my farmor passed away, my farfar had to learn to cook. I was very proud of him for the array of things he was able to cook and bake. Very impressive for a man who hadn't really cooked much the first 82 years of his life. One of the first things he learned to make was frikadeller. When we were back in Denmark for the funeral I found his recipe laying on his kitchen counter and decided to bring it with me.
 
 
Farfar's Frikadeller (aka Danish Meatballs)
Ingredients
1 lb ground pork
4 Tbsp whole wheat flour (hard wheat berries)
1 egg
1/2 -1 onion, finely chopped
2 dl milk
salt and pepper to taste
 
 
 
Directions
If you mill your own flour, mill the hard wheat berries. I of course use my WonderMill.
Add together the flour, meat and egg.
 
Once they are incorporated, add the finely chopped onion (I used a red onion, but you can use a yellow onion) and salt and pepper.
 
Add in the milk a little at a time, combining all the ingredients together.
 
Let the mixture rest for about 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 390F

Traditionally frikadeller are fried on a pan, but in order to be more healthy I opted to baking them.
If you are baking them, spoon the meat onto a parchment paper lined (or greased) baking sheet.
 
Bake them for 30-45 min until the internal temperature is 170F.  You can turn them half way through if you so desire.
 
We don't eat a lot of potatoes and gravy so instead I served them up with some green steamed veggies.
 
Enjoy!