Monday, May 20, 2013

milling mondays: homemade muesli





I love muesli. This is a great breakfast choice for me because it is filling (which is super important for me or I get hungry again 30 minutes after breakfast) and completely yummy. There is something perfect about the combination of oats, nuts and dried fruit topped with milk. Together they form an amazing taste in my mouth while providing important nutrients to start the day.

If you mill your own flour, this is also a great recipe to use the bran from your milling.
 

Homemade Muesli

Ingredients
 
1 lb rolled oats
1/2 cup bran
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cup raisons
1/2 cup craisons
freshly ground flax seed
chia seeds
milk of choice
 
and whatever else sounds yummy to you!
 
 
Directions
 
When I feature dessert recipes on my blog, I often recommend sifting the freshly milled flour once or twice to get rid of some of the bran (to make the dessert less dense). This bran is FULL of nutrients so don't let it go to waste. This recipe provides a great way to use the bran.

Just sift your freshly milled flour and collect the bran left behind. Use a very fine sift to ensure the bran stays in the sift. I use this one.
 
 
Gather all of the yummy ingredients 
  
 
Mix all of the ingredients together EXCEPT the ground flaxseed, chia seeds, and milk.
 
Store them in a container and they are ready to use whenever you crave this yummy muesli.
 
When you are ready to eat the muesli, grind some flaxseeds (in order to get all the nutrients flax seeds have to offer - grind them right before you use them). Add the freshly ground flax seeds and chia seeds and your milk of choice.
 

Enjoy!