Thursday, August 1, 2013

diy thursday: homemade egg white mayonnaise

 
I made the mistake awhile back of reading the back of a mayonnaise jar. I was amazed by the amount of ingredients I couldn't pronounce. I even looked up one of them and it said it was a poison?! Yikes. We even used the healthy one with olive oil. Hmmmm. It isn't that we use a lot of mayo, but I like to have it with certain things. But the joy of mayo is lessened if it contains a poison even if there is only small traces of it and it wont kill us unless we eat massive amounts. I had wanted to make my own mayo right away, but was a little uneasy given the potential of salmonella when using raw unpasteurized eggs. Instead, I opted to purchase a more natural and more expensive one where I could actually pronounce all the ingredients.  Fast forward to last week, Michael and I are currently not eating any sugar for 30 days (what were we thinking?! and I will write more about that later). Anyways, our more natural mayo has some sugar, and I wanted to make a dish that required a couple of tablespoons of mayo. Since it is possible to buy pasteurized egg whites in a carton, I figured I should somehow be able to make mayo with egg whites only and no yoke ... and folks, it is possible! I am probably totally late to the game, but I am glad to know that now.
It is super easy and inexpensive to make and it tastes great and to make things even better, I have full control of ALL of the ingredients in the mayo.


Homemade Egg White Mayonnaise
recipe modified from In Jennie's Kitchen


Ingredients
1 large egg white
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup extra light tasting olive oil (or macadamia oil or avocado oil. Use an oil which is light tasting so it doesn't compete with the taste of the mayo)

Directions
Add the ingredients to a blender in the EXACT order listed above. Let it settle for a couple of minutes.

Blend all the ingredients together until it becomes the consistency of mayo.

Scoop the mayo into a container and refrigerate it. And it is ready to use.

print, email or text this recipe