Monday, August 19, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat german chocolate cookies



As I have mentioned before, I LOVE CHOCOLATE. Dark chocolate is my favorite. When I've gone without sugar or dairy or something, chocolate is the thing I miss the most. That being said, these German Chocolate Cookies are delish. They are soft and chewy with just the right amount of chocolate. It is hard to have just one.


Whole Wheat German Chocolate Cookies
print-email-text recipe

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup whole wheat flour (2/3 soft wheat berries and 1/3 hard wheat berries)
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 oz dark baking chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup pecans


Directions
Preheat oven to 350F
Toast the pecans on a pan and chop.
Chop the dark chocolate.



Beat together the butter, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.  I use my KitchenAid mixer on setting 2.

Once it is well combined, mix in the egg and vanilla.

If you mill your own flour, grind the soft and hard wheat berries. I use my WonderMill on the pastry setting. Sift the flour once to make the cookies less dense.

Beat in the flour until well combined.

Stir in the oats, ground flax seeds (in order to get the full nutritional benefits of the flax seeds, grind them right before you need them), and cocoa powder.

Finally stir in the chopped chocolate, coconut, and pecans to form a thick dough.



 
 Scoop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet/baking mat.
 
Bake for 8-10 min until edges are firm and top is set.
 
Let the cookies cool on a rack ... and then they are READY TO EAT:)
 
 Enjoy!