Thursday, August 8, 2013

diy thursday: homemade larabars

 
We really like larabars. What I like about them (other than the yummy taste) is that the ingredients are simple, only a few and all pronounceable. The main ingredient, and the one that is the same for all of them regardless of flavor, is dates. I don't mind dates, but I don't ever crave them or think, hey I should have some dates?! But even though they are the main ingredient, you don't really notice them. These bars are great for special diets (assuming you can eat dates) since you can add ingredients that fit your eating habits.
In order to save money, I started making these delicious snack bars myself and the directions are simple and easy.
We have really been into cashews lately, so I will give the recipe for a cashew larabar, but the recipe can be adapted to fit other flavors.

Cashew Larabars

Ingredients





1/2cup raw unsalted cashews
1/2cup-1 cup pitted dates









Directions

Chop cashews in a food processor.
Set the chopped cashews aside.
Next, chop the dates in the food processor.
  
 
Using your hands, fold/knead together the cashews and dates (this may be a somewhat sticky experience). Add more chopped dates if needed to incorporate all the nuts. I have found this method to be the most effective since I don't have a super good food processor. If you have a powerful food processor you should be able to mix the nuts and dates together in the processor without using your hands.
When the nuts and dates are completely combined, press them into a pan/dish and let them cool in the fridge. 
 
Once it is cool, then cut the larabars into the desired size.
 
Enjoy!
I also like "chocolate" larabars.  Instead of cashews, I use almonds and then also add 3Tbsp unsweetened cacao powder (and you could even add 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut)