Monday, August 12, 2013

milling mondays: whole wheat macaroon cupcakes

 
 
These macaroon cupcakes are one of my favorites that my farmor used to make. I just love them! They have such an amazing taste with a hint of almond and the texture is perfectly chewy. YUM. And using whole wheat flour doesn't change the taste at all! I was so excited when my mom started making them after my farmor passed away. These cupcakes truly remind me of my farmor and her wonderful baked goods.
 
 
Whole Wheat Macaroon Cupcakes (Makron Kage)
 
 
Ingredients
125g margarine, melted
3 eggs
300g sugar
125g whole wheat flour (85g soft wheat berries and 40g hard wheat berries)
100g Italian almond flavored cookies (macaroons), crushed
1 Tsp vanilla extract
 
 yields 20-24 cupcakes
 
 
Directions
 
Preheat the oven to 395F
 
Whisk together the sugar and eggs using a hand mixer.
 
If you mill your own flour, grind your soft and hard wheat berries. I user my WonderMill on the pastry setting. Sift the flour once to make the cupcakes less dense (you may want to use a little more wheat berries in order to make up for any flour lost from sifting the flour).
 
Add the flour, crushed macaroons, almond extract and the margarine and blend together.
 
 
 
Add the batter to a lined cupcake pan.
 
 
 
Bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes
 
 
Enjoy this delicious treat!